Monday, August 1, 2016

Happiness is...


Whenever we find ourselves a bit lost in our hectic schedules, troubled relationships, financial priorities or even in our own insecurities as human beings it's always important to take it down a level and understand that happiness isn't always found in the way society tells us happiness should be found. Happiness can be found in little moments that we simply don't have time to appreciate anymore.

As someone who suffers from anxiety on a daily basis as well as major bouts of depression getting back to the basics of what happiness can mean is extremely essential for a better quality of life as well as a coping mechanism. It's not about how much money you spend to be happy. It's about taking in what is around you and what you make of it.

Here are some examples of everyday things that can bring us peace and comfort. :)

 

Happiness is... 

  1. Sleeping in your bed with freshly cleaned sheets and pillowcases.
  2. Seeing dewdrops on plants and flowers.
  3. Listening to a song that can make you dance as you clean your home. (or blast some metal when I'm home alone which always puts me in a good mood)
  4. Washing your face or taking a shower after a long day.
  5. Staying in on a Saturday night with a significant other to watch your favorite tv episodes and eat your favorite pizza.
  6. Being yourself.
  7.  Reading a good book you simply cannot put down. (yes, that would be Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in the photo above which I finished at 2 am the night it was released. No shame. None at all.)
  8. Watching an extra amazing sunset with shades of magenta, peach and violet.
  9. Laying underneath the stars at night and marveling at the fact that you exist.
  10. Drinking cold water on a hot day
  11. Complimenting others.
  12.  Having a really good yawn and stretch.
  13. Learning something new ( Trivia: Did you know that Saturn has over 60 moons?!)
  14. Praying, meditating or focusing on good energy/vibes.
  15. Eating your favorite healthy snack.
  16. Writing a handwritten letter to someone and sending it.
  17. Laughing at your mistakes. ( kind of like how I smashed my finger today at work and hit myself in my ear HARD with a box. Still not entirely sure how that happened.)
  18. Telling someone that you love them knowing that you mean it.
  19. Being part of some sort community where other people love the same things you love ( hey beauty community! Looking at you! :) It can be anything from comic-con to disney fanatics, gamer stuff, book clubs, zumba/fitness life, car shows, etc. I've even heard of bird watching clubs. Whatever community it is, you do you!
  20. Putting on your favorite perfume.... before going to sleep. (<--This is a good one, trust me)
Sometimes we need to just forget about how facebook, instagram, our relatives and society as a whole is trying to tell us how to be happy when happiness is already within our reach. When we are stressed or depressed it becomes increasingly difficult to see the little things that we truly do enjoy even though we may not fully appreciate it at that time but it's always good to remember that no matter how bleak things get and how much we become overwhelmed with our emotions, happiness will always be within our reach... no matter how big... or how small. :)


Thank you so much for reading! I hoped this helped some of you out in some way. I know thinking about and writing my own list of what Happiness Is for me raised my serotonin levels. :) I would love to know about the little things that brings you happiness.

Have a great rest of the week! <3
Wicked Honey Bee

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great post and I'l will 100% be keeping these tips in mind. I think it's also important to remember that happiness comes and goes. I always used to look for a constant state of happiness but this just isn't realistic so now I try to remember bits and bobs throughout my day that have made me happy. One of my favourite things to do to relax is run a nice bath, chuck in some Lush bath bombs and catch up with beauty videos on my iPad or read a book :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beauty Box! :) I completely agree that although there are things around us that makes us happy, sometimes it's still not possible to enjoy them. Something that helps me tolerate episodes of depression is knowing that millions of other people have the same insecurities, the same worries and the same emotions I do. It's how we work and cope with those undesirable emotions that can help us get through tricky times. I have tried many, many different coping skills lol this is just one that I like to keep in mind whenever I'm having a difficult time :) (I'm a big cry-er also so sometimes a good cry and a shower afterwards will make me feel better too lol) :)

      I need to try some lush bombs! I am so late on that bandwagon! I just got off of work so a lush bomb bath sounds just about right right now! :D xx

      Delete
  2. I love 1 and 8, definitely agree with them both! I find that time by myself sometimes is very much needed and makes me happy. Along with that a bottle of wine and a good colouring book haha!

    Emily // Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! I love coloring books too LOL those adult coloring books are so much fun :) Thank you for stopping by Emily! Have a great week girl :) xx

      Delete