Thursday, July 7, 2016

Kat Von D Serpentina Eyeshadow Palette Review + Swatches

Kat Von D Serpentina Palette ( modeled by my nephew, a ball python named Butters; He's sooo adorable<3)
S-s-s-s-s-alutations everyone! Okay I'm sorry lol I was trying to get into the whole Serpentina spirit here and I don't think my parseltongue *wink, wink* (harry potter reference) form of snake speaking is spot on but nonetheless-s-s-s-s, I am s-s-s-s-uper excited to share with you guys my thoughts on the new Kat Von D Serpentina Eyeshadow palette! S-s-s-s-s-s-o cool!... okay, seriously I'm done now. lol  :)

I have been so excited for the release of this palette since last year when Kat was barely unveiling her first sketches of the Serpentina palette. So shall we look inside? Oh! and say hi to my nephew Butters! He helped me out today by modeling the palette! :)

MINI RANT: I have to say this simply because this is my blog and I believe in respect towards others and towards oneself. I am not the kind of person that doesn't NOT leave negative reviews. Oh yes, I will leave negative reviews. I fully support being open and honest about a products flaws BUT I also believe in respecting a company and giving constructive feedback. It's called being honest with mercy. That's my motto and that's something I always try to keep in mind whenever I have something negative to say about a lot of things actually. My problem is don't be that person that goes and writes a bad review on a product only to say how mad you are you weren't able to get the product. I saw a couple of reviews on Sephora's website under the Serpentina palette which claimed a one star because the website crashed and they weren't able to get the product. That's not a review... that's a complaint on a different matter! That's not fair to the product or to any other customers that want to purchase that palette. It's called a "product review" not a "complaint center". It's immature stuff like that that I feel has put strain on the beauty community recently. Don't be that person! RANT OVER.

This is Timmy! My other nephew and he is a Boa!
This is a limited edition palette that comes with 8 pressed full sized KVD shadows and one loose pigment for a total of 9 different eyeshadows. This retails for $45 and is exclusive to Sephora and KatVon D

BLOODMILK: a warm toned, dirty rusted red with a matte finish
MEDUSA: dirty warm, medium bronze with a shimmer finish
ANKH: a warm, very dark espresso brown with plum undertones and a lot of fine gold glitter
QUEEN: a maroon with a silky shimmery finish
HIEROGLYPH: warm copper orange with a shimmer finish
NILE: a very vibrant cobalt blue with a shimmer finish
SCARAB: a forest green, emerald with a shimmer finish
VENOM: a smokey midtone amethyst with a matte finish
PROPHET (Loose Eyeshadow): a very yellow based gold with a very faint green tint to it and a metallic finish
Prophet is a removable shade
All I can say is that this is a damn good palette. All of the shimmery shades were perfected. Smooth, creamy, super pigmented and easy to blend. Bloodmilk and Venom had a drier texture than the shimmery shades but were formulated the same as the shadows from the Shade Light Eye palette. So if you are familiar with Kat Von D's eyeshadows, you know that they do have a slightly drier texture than many matte eyeshadows in the market BUT they are super soft and super easy to blend. To be quite frank, KVD matte shades are my favorite matte shades in the market and these didn't let me down. The loose pigment was beautiful as well. It didn't need a fluid like MAC Fix Plus to help adhere to the skin. It worked just fine without it and there wasn't too much fallout. Just like the pressed shadows , the loose pigment was also very pigmented and smooth. This is definitely a jewel toned palette with a good mix of warm and cool toned shades. The most unique color would have to Bloodmilk.

The packaging is pretty neat but I do have a complaint about it. The mirror is too small and since the packaging is more shaped like a box instead of flat like most eyeshadow palettes are, it does present a bit of a difficulty for me. It just doesn't feel very comfortable in the hand. When I was testing some of the eyeshadows out on my eyes, I did end up just using a compact mirror to finish.

I did end up busting out my Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Remix Palette because I spotted some VERY similar shades... and I actually did find one where it's a dupe. Like I can't tell the difference at all. Let's take a closer look:
 Hieroglyph and Harpsichord are exactly the same. I couldn't tell the difference between them at all. Neither in the formula nor the color. So just be aware that there is a repeated color from the Mi Vida Loca Remix palette.The other two that I found that were similar were not exactly the same. Queen is browner while Rewind is redder. Scarab shifted more blue while Lemmy is a truer emerald green. I personally am never really a fan of repeated colors with a change in name. Although in this case, it might be a good thing considering the Mi Vida Loca Remix was limited edition and is no longer available.

If you get the chance to get this palette, just get it. Don't hesitate. You can use some of the brighter or more lively colors on the lower lash line. The point is... the formula on this thing is fantastic.

PROS:
-vegan
-cruelty free
-great value $5 per shadow
-creamy, easy to blend, pigmented shadows

CONS
-limited edition
-very small mirror/ difficult to use
-repeated color from the Mi Vida Loca Remix palette

Hope you guys found this helpful! Any questions, concerns or comments, please feel free to let me know and I will get back to you as soon as possible! Thank you! Time to walk like an Egyptian to bed!

Peace,
Wicked Honey Bee

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of this palette and although some of the shades are a bit different to the ones I would normally go for, I think it would be a good palette to use for experimenting with a bit of colour. I agree Hieroglyph and Harpsichord look completely the same though which is a shame but it is still a very pretty eyeshadow :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a definite jewel toned kind of palette. This would go great with any neutral palette like the UD NAKED BASICS or UD GWEN STEFANI palette :)

    ReplyDelete